Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Naughty Congresswoman

It was a lot of fun--and somehow not a stretch--to record voices for this game. I particularly got a bang out of voicing the blonde, super-Martha Stewart-coiffed Congresswoman. Especially as I'm neither blonde, super, Martha Stewart or a Congresswoman. But I can pretend! Her "boohoo--I'm sorry," as written by Tom Reeve, is heard many a time as we realize she is more often than not a perfidious scoundrel-ette. (The cool thing about doing video game voices is that you have the opportunity to hear your voice(s) multiple times, if you are interested in that sort of thing. I often am.)

"Subpow" was just so great to work on as a voice actor because it offered me the often-sought but seldom achieved opportunity to wallow in melodrama. Imagining the extreme distress of a lawmaker being bopped by a subpoena when she was just trying to slink unmolested through the halls of federal service, well...twas fun. E.g., other lines needing to be voiced included the more "One Life to Life" soap opera-esque "It's only a game, boo hoo" and the rather weaselly "Everybody does it, boohoo". The trick, of course, is to vary the boohooing. Thanks to Tom's subtly precise direction, this was a piece o'cake.

Bravo, Tom & Kat--and more boohooing for me, please?

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

The voices bring the characters to life, and your Congress lady more than any of them. Talk about crocodile tears! She's great, but you don't know if you want to help her or smack her.
It's too kind of you to cite my writing of the now famous line, "Boo Hoo, I'm sorry". Simple writing is all that is called for when the actor is prepared to provide the meaning. Everybody brought a little something special to it, and as usual you were right there with just the right something.

10:23 AM  
Blogger SubPowered said...

One of the most delightful things about playing Subpoena Power for me is hearing "I'm sorry" and "I've been living a lie"; the crying really makes me laugh.

Suzanne you brought so much energy and performance into those simple statements and that is a credit to your skills and talents. I hear so much of the character in those voices and I look forwarded to seeing the characters, especially the scoundrels!!

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home