Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Beta Phase Continues

There is more to games than just having fun, but that is a good place to start.

I am wondering how does a game hook players in the first 5 minutes of their first visit? Intuitive game play? Curiosity? Enough to keep you occupied and come to some kind of conclusion within 15 minutes; something to bring you back? Why do you play a particular game in the first place? A friend recommends it?? You see someone else playing it? Why do you play a game once and never try again? Why do you keep playing a game?

There are 535 people in the United States Congress; 435 Representatives in the House and 100 Senators in the Senate. Wouldn't it be nice to know WHO is honest and WHO are the scoundrels? Wouldn't be great if you could do something that could make the potential for GOOD in Congress increase?

Well that is what Subpoena Power, the Game is all about and we are still tweaking it. Things are still developing so there will be some changes. We're adding steps of achievement in the early part of the game where players get tips on the goals and game play. We've set levels where you will receive awards "suitable for framing" too. But what happens at the end? How to you acknowledge a player making it to serving all 535 of the politicians in Congress?? They'll have a certificate to prove it!!

The goal of the game has always been to determine who is good and who is bad, and to do whatever is necessary to encourage honesty by eliminating the temptations of corruption (the Lobbyist's money).

The game ends when you have served 535 subpoenas and the High Score will be the highest number of Honest Tribunes. I know I resisted it with my "I don't play games" attitude but SubPow just keeps getting more and more interesting to me. Maybe it will be ready to launch by my birthday, August 7, that would be a great birthday present!

3 Comments:

Blogger SubPowered said...

I guess a game can be educational as well as entertainment.

I should have known that the US House of Representatives had 435 members; the Senate 100 (that I knew) but surprisingly the House is 86% men and the Senate 87% men.

Makes me wonder WHY??

2:13 AM  
Anonymous jbeezz said...

This may be the best thing that you have ever done Kat. Kudos to your staff.

When it's done and with your permission I'm going to send the link to the kids via the Students University Web page (I work for a university) with the hope that they will learn something.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous jbeezz said...

A game can hook me by not being too difficult at the beginning. If it's too difficult I figure that I don't have time to learn it. If it starts out easy and gets more difficult as I go along I'm hooked.
If I can win sometimes I'll come back and keep playing. If I can never win I'll hang it up and move on.
I'm not a big gamer so a professional level game isn't for me although I understand why some want that.
I'm still learning this one and I think that it's great.
I'll keep coming back because I not only like the game but I LOVE the premise.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home